Friday, December 10, 2010

"We have begun our decent back into... reality."

Weird to think that we are already toasting to our "Last..." here in Australia.  This week, we have no classes.  It is called Study Week.  All of my Australian mates are hitting the books really hard, while us exchange students are confident we can study for our Australian Pop Culture finals in less time.  That means we have a week to get out and do all of the last things we want to accomplish while we're here.

In one day, the forecast turned from rain all week to sun all week.  Not sure how it happened, but none of us were complaining.  We got to spend a great day at the beach, working on our tans to show off for Christmas pictures back home.  The next day a few of us went to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.  We got to hold koalas, feed kangaroos, see some other native animals, and partake in a really cool ropes course.  This was the second adventure in Australia that I have done that was titled "Extreme".  Apparently in Australia, they're not kidding.  XTreme Whitewater Rafting was certainly extreme.  The Extreme Ropes Challenge at Currumin was no different.  I'm writing this more than 24 hours later and my arms have never been so sore.  Still, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.  The whole day was full of great memories.  The ropes course provided a unique opportunity to be at tree height in this gorgeous forest amongst the sounds of animals.  Serene does not even begin to describe how peaceful it was so high up.  There was even breaks in the serenity for catching your breath and speeding down zip lines.  Great day.

Today I played golf for the final time with James and Andrew, my two closest Australian mates.  We decided to go out with a bang and played at one of the nicest courses in the Gold Coast: The Glades designed by Greg Norman.  The views were immaculate.  The course was pristine.  It was such a great way to conclude a great golfing experience down under.  We just hung around the clubhouse for about an hour after the round just enjoying the evening in Australia overlooking the great course.  Despite all the crazy days/nights I have had down here, it is moments like that which will stick with me for the rest of my life.  Moments when the chaos stills, and the realization that I'm in Australia having the time of my life sets in.  I've been seeming to have a lot of those moments recently.  Suddenly the time is winding down.  I have no doubt that these 21 days of December will be the quickest 3 weeks of my life.

I got home from golf convincing myself it was time to start studying.  I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I have a weird tendency to do everything else but study before I finally get down to studying.  In the few hours I had tonight to study, I cleaned and packed up my golf clubs, did some laundry, cleaned and organized my room, and (deep breath) even began packing for home.  While this only meant organizing a few miscellaneous things and folding some unworn clothes, it was just another reminder of how quickly this experience is coming to an end.  Like I've mentioned before, I have tried to not take one moment in Australia for granted.  I've spend countless moments just getting lost in the scenery here.  Yes there have been crazy nights, yes I do go to class, write papers, and do homework.  But at no other time in my life will I be able to just put everything aside and live in the moment like this.  I'm hoping more of the moments will come in abundance this next week, and I can't wait to relive all of them with you really soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment